Introduction to Pet Insurance
The health insurance industry is booming, and this includes insurance that is offered to cover your pet. There are now hundreds of pet health insurance products available and this gives pet owners the option to find a policy that matches their budget and the health needs of their pet.
The majority of the pet insurance programs offer a specific coverage plan that allows the pet owner to keep the insurance policy by paying monthly. Unlike regular insurance, pet health insurance plans require mandatory deductibles with each visit. Depending on the insurance company, some of the programs reimburse the Veterinarian for the costs while other companies reimburse the policy holder once the bill is paid.
There are several types insurance plans that provide various protections levels for your pet. Some of the pet insurance options include:
- Superior Health Plans: Superior plans are inclusive plans that cover most health care costs such as: illnesses, surgeries, accidents, cancer, x-rays, medication, hospitalizations, urinalysis, EKGs, blood screening tests, yearly physicals and vaccinations, dental procedures, monthly heartworm and flea medication, and so much more.
- Standard Health Plans: This policy is the most economical plan offered and it covers basic health care costs such as: illnesses, surgeries, accidents, x-rays, cancer, hospitalizations, and medication.
- Wellcare Health Plans: Wellcare health plans are basically all plans that cover health costs such as: illnesses, surgeries, accidents, x-ray, cancer, medication, hospitalizations, monthly heartworm control and flea medication and yearly physicals and vaccinations.
- Accident Only Health Plans: Just like the name implies, these health plans cover accidents only. This coverage plans does not cover illnesses or any preventive care.
- Discount Health Plans: Once you take your pet to a hospital or the veterinarian that are listed as approved by the insurance company, a discount will be given for any services rendered. These plans typically won’t cover an out-of-network provider.
Please note- Just like all other types of insurance available, plan coverage always varies depending on what kind of pet and which company you choose. Ask questions with the insurance provider before selecting the best plan for you and your pet.
Pet owners choose pet insurance plans based on the age of their pet. Pet health plans also offer group discounts for people that own multiple pets. Some of these pet insurance options cover both small and large animals and may cover unusual pet types such as: ferrets, rabbits, and other exotic pets.
Research the different companies available so that you find the perfect insurance plan to protect your furry little friend.