A good dog owner/lover sees the dog as a part of the family and naturally wants their furry friend to be with the family even on holidays. Where the problem lies, however, is finding a pet-friendly hotel to book for the family. A hotel that will not only allow you to bring in your furry friend but one that is equally not too expensive and one that the family can afford.
Choosing a pet-friendly hotel isn’t that easy because different hotels have different rules, fees, restrictions and amenities they provide. According to dog enthusiasts at https://www.dogfriendlyretreats.com/, there are many hotels and cottages to choose from in different countries that are pet-friendly as long as you do your research properly. Some of these hotels have dog cages, dog litter boxes, some even have grooming centers as well as pet stores where you can buy whatever your furry friend needs. We have said this just so you know that if you search properly, you will find a hotel that suits all your family needs and that is pet-friendly. In this article, we will be taking a look at how you can easily choose a pet-friendly hotel for your family vacation without having to spend too much money.
Things to consider when shopping for a pet-friendly hotel. However, before choosing a hotel at all, you need to first and foremost put in place the following:
- You should not plan a family trip or vacation that involves going with your dog without being properly prepared. Part of your preparation should include ensuring you pack your dog food, litter box(es), medication – if they ever need one, water and food tray, first aid boxes and if you have one, your dog’s medical history booklet etc. Going prepared is extremely important as you do not want to leave anything behind.
- Although not all hotels demand this, you should, however, ensure you do not leave the house without your pet crate or kennel. Some hotels will demand you have your pet Kenneled while some others don’t make this demand. But by ensuring you have your crate or Kennel with you, you leave no room for surprises or disappointments.
- See a vet. You sure do not want to lose your dog to any health issue while on the trip or be forced to cut short your vacation because your dog fell ill. This is why you should have your vet have a look at the dog before embarking on the journey.
- Papers are important, you should not leave them behind. All documentary requirements like doggie book and a tag that bears your name, address and telephone numbers should be packed. A tag will be useful should your dog get missing.
- Try as much as possible to ensure you book a room on the first floor of the hotel. Your dog will surely need a couple of bathroom breaks per day and by staying on the first floor, you reduce the need to keep walking up and down the stairs or disturb other people on the elevator of the hotel.
- Another thing you should consider is whether or not the hotel has any restrictions and extra charges. When picking a dog-friendly hotel, you should not only consider the hotel fee but also other fees such as tax. And on the restriction front, some hotels have strict restrictions on the size of pets that can be brought in.
As mentioned above, some hotels offer amenities such as beddings, litter boxes, water, and food trays e.t.c you should ensure you find out what the hotel has to offer for your pet. Do they have a pet store where you can buy whatever you need for your pet or do you have to bring everything with you? Noise makes most pets nervous, especially the toy and miniature ones. Hence, you must ensure you choose a hotel that is not next to a major or busy street. Before deciding on a hotel, ensure you look at the maps (Google maps and a bit of research on Google will help you) to have an idea of where the hotel is located and how busy the streets next to it are likely to be.
A Few More Notes to Remember
Having known what to consider when picking a pet-friendly hotel for your dog, you should also know how to pick the best. We have one tip, online reviews. There are many people who have used some of the hotels you are considering for your pet, to know which of them is really worth your time; you should read reviews of what previous users think. By reading reviews, you will get to know more about what the hotel offers and what they do not, the prices to expect, what restrictions they have in place. Reading reviews give you a proper idea of what to expect from each other and that way you will be able to make the right judgment.