Ashwagandha, an ancient medicinal herb, botanically known as Withania somnifera and commonly known as, Indian ginseng, winter cherry, or poison gooseberry belongs to the Solanaceae or nightshade family. The word Ashwagandha derives its meaning from the words, Ashwa-meaning horse and Gandha- meaning smell in Sanskrit. Therefore, it signifies smell of a horse which equates to the potency that a horse possesses. The ashwagandha plant is found in India, Africa and the Middle East. Ashwagandha plant, a tiny shrub with yellow blooms, is considered as a rasayana in Ayurveda, literally meaning- ras (essence) and path (ayana), which claims to increase the span of life and slow down ageing. Thus, this herb helps rejuvenate, both mentally and physically.
Benefits of Ashwagandha:
Ashwagandha is widely used for its health benefits. The extracted or the powdered form of the leaves and the roots are utilized to treat a number of health conditions. Ashwagandha is popularly available in the form of capsules at health and supplement stores. Incorporating ashwagandha as a supplement in our regular diet may be a simple and effective way to improve health and overall quality of life. Ashwagandha is believed to be safe for most of the people. True Basics Ashwagandha with multiple health benefits is one such wonder that is easily available. It uses KSM-66 ashwagandha root extract for exceptional results.
The following are the benefits of this magical plant:
- Ashwagandha helps restore and boost immunity: The antioxidants and the withanolides present in Ashwagandha contribute to the strengthening of our immune system. Ashwagandha helps improve antibody production, promotes anti-inflammatory activities and increases nitric oxide production. Flavonoids and antioxidants present in ashwagandha enhance resistance of the body.
- Ashwagandha helps cope with stress and anxiety: Ashwagandha is best known for its ability to help reduce stress. It contains high concentration of withanolides, a group of steroidal lactones which make it so effective. Ashwagandha works as an adaptogen which aids the body in combating with stress. It contains chemicals that might help pacify the brain. It has proved its mettle in fighting depression. Ashwagandha supplements like those by TrueBasics may sharpen memory, expedite response time and enhance the ability to achieve physical goals.
- Ashwagandha can reduce blood sugar levels: Ashwagandha can be a blessing for diabetic patients as it assists in increasing the secretion of insulin and enhances insulin cellular sensitivity. To add to this, ashwagandha may help advance cardiac health by reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Ashwagandha is a boon for male’s overall health: Ashwagandha helps raise testosterone levels in men. It boosts sperm quality and fertility in males. Additionally, it has been proven that it leads to building of muscle mass, lowering body fat and increasing physical strength in men.
- Ashwagandha may improve the functioning of the brain: Ashwagandha root acts as a calming agent. It aids in enhancing concentration and attention. It facilitates choline production in the body, which eventually strengthens memory processes. Further, ashwagandha possesses antioxidant effects that may restrict nerve cell degeneration.
- Ashwagandha may act as a pain-reliever: Ashwagandha is regarded as an effective pain reliever that inhibits the pain carrying nerve fibers of the nervous system of our body, thus alleviating the sensation of pain. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help in treating different types of home remedies of arthritis.