Many people love learning about a good mystery. There are lots of stories out there about strange and unusual things. It’s because our planet is filled with places and things that are surreal, eerie, and sometimes downright bizarre. Even though many of these things have logical or scientific explanations, some still remain strange and unsolved.
If you’re someone who enjoys looking at strange photos, reading unusual stories, and researching about the most bizarre things, then you’d probably love what we’re giving you today. To satisfy your mind’s cravings for all things weird, here’s a guide to the absolutely strangest things on earth.
Among the many strange places in the world, abandoned places are one that would make you ask why they have been abandoned. It is somehow thrilling to learn about the stories behind those places. Some of these places are beautiful, while others are very creepy. Here are some examples of the strangest abandoned places in the world:
- Dundas Castle, New York: This is an elegant castle that was designed by architect Bradford L. Gilbert for his wife. However, before it was completed, Gilbert died, and his wife committed herself to a hospital. This means that no one got a chance to live in it. But there are legends about the ghost of Dundas that roams through the halls of this castle.
- Kayakoy, Turkey: Kayakoy in Turkey is nestled among the Taurus Mountains. It is a town that has been deserted since the 1920s because of the political population exchange with Greece. There are about 350 vacant homes here, making it one of the most popular abandoned places in the world.
- Gouqi Island, China: This island is located on the Yangtze River in China. This fishing village is known for its lush buildings covered in greenery and ivy.
- Dadipark, Dadizele, Belgium: Dadipark is among the chic amusement parks in Belgium that got closed down when a young boy lost his arm in one of the rides. Even though there are many stories about its renovations and reopening places, the park remained rusted ad abandoned.
- Hotel del Salto, Columbia: This hotel was once a luxurious hotel that was built in the early 1920a in the city of San Antonio del Tequendama. However, as time passed, the Bogota river got contaminated, and tourism in this place declined. Eventually, the hotel was closed for good and is now believed to be haunted.
These are just a few examples of the strangest abandoned places in the world. If you’d like to learn more places and discover the stories behind them, check out our list of articles that are all about abandoned places in different parts of the world:
Click here for more articles about abandoned places.
Amazing Architecture & Buildings
Also included in this topic are the strange but amazing architecture and buildings. When you like to learn about the history of a certain place when you travel, one of the best ways is by looking at its iconic buildings, as it can also tell you something about a place. Here are some examples of the amazing architecture and buildings in different parts of the world:
- Lotus Temple, New Delhi: This is a Bahá’í House of Worship in New Delhi. It has 27 structures that resemble the petals of the lotus flower. The surface of this building is made of white marble that is sourced from Mount Pentelicus in Greece, which is the same marble used to build the Parthenon.
- St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow: The bright and colorful cathedral is the most visited tourist attraction in Moscow. It is shaped to resemble the flame of a bonfire rising to the sky. It also marks the geometric center of the city.
- Fallingwater, Pennsylvania: This building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1934. It is one of the most popular private residences in the world. It has a strange design that makes the house looks like it stretches out over a waterfall without any solid ground underneath. It is now a historic landmark.
- Heydar Aliyev Centre, Baku: This strange building was designed by Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid, and it can be found in Azerbaijan. It is popular for its distinctive, flowing lines and lack of sharp angles.
If you’d like to learn more about amazing architecture and buildings, here are some links to a few related articles that you might enjoy reading:
- What are Witch Stairs?
- Amazing Skyscrapers of the World
- Strange and Unusual Buildings
- The World’s Most Amazing Bridges
Strange & Unusual Happenings
Our planet also never fails to surprise us with something unusual from time to time. This may include beautiful sceneries like amazing waterfalls, snow-capped mountains, and breathtaking rivers. However, those things are quite common these days. But there will always be news about something completely strange that will surely grab your attention. Here are some examples of the strangest phenomena around the world:
- Blood Falls in Antarctica: In Antarctica, there is a waterfall that shoots blood-red water into a river. This waterfall was first discovered in 1911 in the Eastern part of Antarctica. Based on studies, the origin of the blood-red water was oxidized iron in brine saltwater, which is the same procedure that causes iron to turn red due to rusting.
- Frozen Bubbles in Canada: It is quite spectacular to see frozen bubbles in a lake. However, it is also dangerous. It’s because this happens when methane gas gets trapped underwater and freezes. When a large amount of methane is trapped, it is highly inflammable. Frozen bubbles are commonly seen during the winter season at Abraham Lake in Alberta, Canada.
- Sky Mirror in Malaysia: During the new moon and full moon period, tourists that visit Sasaran Beach in Kuala Lumpur can see a reflection of the sky in the waters. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs due to the low tides during these two days. The smooth sand and minimal water create an incredible view.
- Turquoise Ice in Russia: Lake Baikal in Russia is the oldest, deepest, clearest, and largest freshwater lake in the world, and it is also a gem. During the winter season, the water in this lake freezes and results in ice formations that are turquoise in color. They look like gems when their shimmer in the sunlight.
These are only a few examples of the strange things that are happening around the world. If you want more, here are some links to our articles about strange and unusual happenings:
- Learn About These Crazy Nuclear Close Calls
- Inventors Who Were Killed By Their Inventions
- Memento Mori – The Macabre Art of Death Photography
- Unusual Holidays in the US
- Strange and Unusual Cults
- The Strangest and Most Unusual Conspiracy Theories of All Time
- Strange and Unusual Ancient Cults
- What Was the Dancing Plague of 1518?
- What Was the Tanganyika Laughing Epidemic?
- What Was the South Sea Bubble?
- What Was the Mississippi Bubble?
- The Strange and Unusual History of Tulip Mania
- Some of the Strangers and Most Unusual Beliefs and Quirks of Famous Historical Figures
- The Ultimate Guide to Strange and Unusual Ceremonies and Traditions Around the World
In addition to strange places and happenings around the world, there are also odd creatures that some of us might encounter when we visit different places. These are something that makes tourists get their cameras fast to capture a bizarre creature. But in some parts of the world, there are creatures so odd and rare that most of us don’t even know they exist. Here are a few examples:
- Pangolin: This creature looks like a baby of an anteater and an armadillo. It is an odd-looking animal found in different parts of Asia and Africa. It has a long tongue for eating ants and termites. It also has a protective keratin shell. This strange creature is on the list of the threatened species.
- Sun Fish: This fish is considered the heaviest bony fish in the world, and an adult can max out at 2 tons. It is an odd-looking fish that is found in tropical waters around the world. It is also considered a delicacy in places like Korea, Taiwan, and Japan.
- Gharial: This one is a skinny-snouted crocodile that can be found in the waterways of India. Its long nose has 110 teeth, which is perfect for catching fish. According to scientists, there are only 235 gharials in existence.
- Saiga Antelope: This strange creature can be found in Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan. It is recognized for its large nose that filters out dust and regulates its blood temperature.
If you’d like to read more about these, check out these links to our articles about different strange creatures around the world:
- Learn About the Amazing Sheep Sea Slug
- The Amazing, Strange, and Unusual Harpy Eagle
- Surprising Shape-Shifting Organisms
- Strange and Unusual Reptiles
- Strange Creatures from the Ocean’s Depths
- The World’s Most Dangerous Bird
- Strange and Unusual Dog Breeds
- The World’s Most Strange and Unusual Birds
- The Strangest and Most Unusual Spiders on Planet Earth
- Strange and Unusual Facts and Myths About The Animal Kingdom
- Strange and Unusual Cat Breeds
- Strange and Unusual Insects
- Learn About Frogfish – A Truly Bizarre Creature
- Why Do Some Birds Fly South for the Winter and Some Do Not?
- What is the Great Wildebeest Migration?
- Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch?
- Why Do Cats Purr?
- This Jellyfish Species Lives Forever!
- How Much Danger is There Really in a Shark Attack?
- Incredible Real-Life Hybrid Animals
- 10 Biggest Freshwater Fish in the World
- Amazing Rain Forest Creatures
We, humans, tend to notice a lot of strange and unusual things that are happening around us. But when we look at ourselves, we can realize that there are also a lot of weird things about us. These can include having different languages, different eye colors, various hair colors, different blood types, and more. If you love learning odd things about humans, then you will surely love the following topics:
- What are the Strangest and Most Unusual Languages in the World?
- Who Were the Green Children of Woolpit?
- Humans with Different Colored Eyes
- Craziest Leaders of All Time
- Why Do We Yawn When Others Yawn?
- The Amazing Story of the Richest Man Who Ever Lived
- Interesting and Unusual Facts About Hair
- Interesting Facts About the Human Eye
- Did These Historical People Actually Exist?
- Interesting Facts About DNA
- Is Blood Blue?
- Crazy Wacky True Stories of People Who Never Sleep
If you can’t get enough of strange places, we can surely give you more. Here are links to some articles about the strangest places on earth:
- The Most Heavily Guarded Places in the World
- Learn About the Mysteries of Lake Tahoe
- Learn More About the Danakil Depression – One of the Harshest and Most Alien Places on the Planet
- Venezuela’s Strange and Unusual Catatumbo Lightning
- What is the Megalith of Al-Naslaa?
- The Most Unusual City Names in the United States
- The Coldest and Hottest Places on Earth
- Strange and Unusual Places that Actually Exist
- America’s Mysterious Concrete Arrows: What You Need to Know
- The Most Mysterious Forests in the World
- Top 20 Unusual Museums
Have you ever heard about blue bananas? How about stone age tunnels? Or maybe about the Gate of the Sun? There are truly lots of strange things on earth that are quite difficult to determine without the help of experts. If you are into learning about these things, check out these links for some interesting articles about strange things around the world.
- What are Those Mysterious Moon Flashes of Light?
- The World’s Strangest Desserts
- Strange and Unusual Flags
- The Weirdest Baby Names in History
- Fascinating Items Stored at the Library of Congress
- What are the Strangest and Most Unusual Musical Styles in the World?
- What Was the Strange and Unusual CIA Project Artichoke?
- The Craziest Medical Theories and Practices
- What are Blue Bananas?
- Unusual Names for Groups of Animals
- The Strangest and Most Unusual Natural Phenomena
- Strangest Collections in the World
- Strange and Unusual Scientific Studies
- The Strangest Things Found on Earth
There are also a lot of questions that many people ask, which are quite challenging to answer. Do you know why the hair turns gray as we age? Do you have any idea how many time zones there are? Or why do you think we sometimes experience Déjà vu? If you’d like to get more information about these things and more, check out the following article links:
- It’s Shocking! Static Electricity!
- Why is the Universal Medical Symbol a Snake on a Stick?
- Why Does Hair Turn Gray?
- How Many Time Zones are There?
- Can It Really Rain Cats and Dogs?
- What the Heck is Déjà vu Exactly?
- Top 10 Unexplained Phenomena
History is one of the most interesting subjects or courses at school. It is where we learn about the history of different countries, about wars, inventions, and more. But if you want to learn some histories that are not found in most of your books, we’re here to help you. Here are some interesting articles about the strange and unusual history of things, places, and people:
- What was Fordlandia?
- The Interesting History of Banking
- The Interesting History of Zoos
- The Oldest Golf Courses in the World
- The Oldest Hotels in the World
- The Interesting History of Marathons
- The Interesting History of Candy Bar
- Unusual History of Rodeos
- The Interesting History of Aquariums
- The History of Roller Coasters
- The Strange and Unusual Life of Violet Jessop
- The Handshake’s Somewhat Intriguing Origins
- Strange and Unusual Facts from History You Never Knew
- Strange and Bizarre Historical Medical Treatments
- The Interesting History of Pigeon Photography
Even though humans have existed on earth for many years, there are still many strange and unusual things and phenomena out there that we do not know or can’t clearly explain. We hope the information provided here helps you in discovering and learning more about our strange but interesting world.