Sooner or later you start thinking about the life expectancy of your pets. Otherwise, you think about it prior to choosing a dog for yourself. Every person seeks the best friend, hence, it is crucial to know how long do dogs live – especially in the apartments. Let’s today try to calculate the life expectancy of small and big dogs who live as pets in one’s house.
How Long Do Dogs Live For?
Unfortunately, the first news which might not be known among many people, – the dogs do not share the same average life expectancy as humans. If women and men may live up to 72-90 years of age on average, a dog may be sadly gone within 12-20 years if it did not have any medical conditions. Those dogs diagnosed with one or another medical condition may leave this world even in their childhood years.
It is also worth mentioning that dogs may have different lifespans depending on their breed. Still, your care, love, and support of a pet may extend the years of life easily.
Let’s overlook some of the breeds and their average lifespan:
- Poodles – 14.2
- Border Collie – 13.5
- Yorkie – 13.5
- Jack Russell – 13.4
- Crossbreed – 13
- Labrador – 12.5
- Cocker Spaniel – 11.5
- Chihuahua – 7
- Bordeaux Mastiff – 5
According to modern veterinary research, the crossbreed lives now longer than a purebred. That’s why some people tend to seek crossbreed to share many and many years of life. While those who look for fancy breeds should be aware that such dogs rarely cross 15 years of lifespan, and they are very predisposed to many chronic diseases that are hard to approach. Especially it concerns when answering – how long do small dogs live – up to 15 years on average.
What Are the Factors Influencing the Lifespan of Dogs in Apartments?
First off, it is all about size. The scientists believe that the smaller the dog, the longer it may live. Based on numerous research where dogs of different breeds were involved, the results indicated that around 65% of small dogs have been linked to a longer lifespan. While some lending institutions confirmed this thesis by emphasizing the results as such because bigger dogs age faster and are more prone to many medical conditions, especially related to heart health.
The second factor, as was hinted at above, his breed. Purebreed representatives are linked to having a very small genetic pool. It is explained by their controlled environment where they live, are raised, and are born. While crossbreed dogs have more variations in genes and may withstand more genetic illnesses. Beyond that, crossbreed dogs have a very firm immune system which helps them fight and easily manage any negative health outcomes.
The third factor is definitely a diet. Your dog should have a balanced diet which, in turn, will affect its lifespan and quality of actual life. If your dog becomes overweight, it is the first indicator of potential heart diseases in the future. Beyond that, your dog will follow a sedentary lifestyle which will lead to problems with bones.
The next factor is care. How long do dogs live? – The more you care about them, the longer they live. Care may be manifested in a balanced diet, exercises, veterinarian check-ups, and just your love for the dog. Do your best to show how you love and respect the dog with medical checkups or dental procedures even though they may not be very pleasant to your pet.
How to Make Your Dog Live up to 20 Years?
Those people who know that some dogs may easily extend their lifespan up to 20 years, dream about the same event with their pets. Unfortunately, it is not always possible. Sometimes, it may be even related to luckiness or fortune. Check the following recommendations which may occasionally help you increase the life expectancy of your dog:
- Do not stress your dog. A dog is the best friend of a human. A dog clearly monitors and understands one’s mood. Try to be more positive, and active near your pet. Otherwise, a dog may just copy your behavior and become a depressed dog as well;
- Overlook the mental health of your pet. Especially, it concerns those dogs who have been left by owners and then picked up by new people. A dog should see that you are worth its trust. The more you try to make your dog happy, the more positive results are ongoing inside their brains;
- Never beat your dog. Everyone knows that animals are prohibited to beat or punish. Once you decide to punish your dog, a small part of its trust, respect, and love to you may disappear. Speak to a dog breeder who may teach you the tricks about how to punish a dog without any physical power;
- Share the best moments with your dog. If you travel, grab a dog with you. If you watch a movie, invite a dog, strange it may sound. Your dog should not feel lonely because it may only deteriorate its well-being and cause depression.
- Minimize the potential for your pet loss. One or another day, your dog may happen to be lost. Unfortunately, it is a common situation. Think of microchipping your dog which will help to identify its location faster, and prevent other mental health abnormalities or stress. If you still need to be absent, use the dog hotel.
That’s pretty it. So, how long do dogs live? It varies among the breeds. The average lifespan of a dog ranges between 11-16 years of age. Depending on your care, love, and the veterinarian checkups, your breed may potentially live longer, however, no one knows the day when a pet may be gone. If you believe your dog does not feel well or has strange behavior patterns, it is an indicator that something is wrong. Ensure to speak to the veterinarian, and learn how to make your pet safe and sound at all times. Remember to share happiness with your dog with treats and your love.