Driveway drains and yard drains are essential to your home because they help to get rid of rainwater from your premise and direct it to the storm cesspool or other drainages like catch basins or French drains to maintain dryness in your yard.
If your Driveway drain is clogged, you first need to establish obvious items that may be blocking it. Things like dirt, leaves, toys, stones, debris, and the likes. If you can access these items using your hands, remove them or use a scoop where necessary. Also you can prefer Channel Drainage to maintain the driveway drainage system.
If the drain has a grate, remove it to have a better view of the drainage pipe. If you find more dirt in the channel, try to clear it cautiously without destroying the duct itself. You should then utilize a garden hose pipe to pass water through the channel and check if any left blockage gets cleared. Also, contact Total Pipeline Systems that provide drain gullies to maintain your drainage system.
There may be one or many inspection portals on your property. These may be likely positioned adjacent to the house or across the street, or any other place in your yard subject to how the property’s drainage system is set out. If need be, you can seek help from a plumber or the city sewer office to establish any drainages on your driveway.
If you use a hose to flush water through your driveway drain, you must observe water flowing via the inspection chamber towards the cesspool or other drain water location. If you cannot observe the water flowing, it could be an indication of an intense blockage involving tree roots in the ducts or the channels may be broken.
If your property has trees, the roots could be a probable cause of blockage in your driveway drain. If you think that it is just a stubborn blockage of debris and waste, a hydro-jet can come in handy. You can always rent high-pressure water jets at the nearest hardware shop if you want to clean it yourself.
However, bad roots and other waste can be difficult to deal with and it is advisable you contact a proficient plumber to do the work for you. After the blockage has been removed from the driveway drain, you will start to observe water flowing freely through the problem duct to the inspection chamber. Severe clogs may demand you use a hydro-jet from the drain side and the inspection portal of the channel to get rid of it effectively. You can keep reading here for more information.
If the high pressure jet does not make entrance to the blocked section and what’s coming from the duct is debris, stones, and mud, this indicates that the driveway drain pipe is broken and needs a replacement. If you don’t have a lot of time to spend troubleshooting the cause of the problem, you can call the most reputable Driveway Repair Washington DC to help you solve the problem fast.
More Tips on Maintaining Your Driveway Drain
- It is not recommended to use chemicals in trying to unblock your driveway drains because they normally drain straight into a watercourse through the storm cesspool without treating the water first at a sewage treatment pool.
- Repair or replace damaged driveway drain grates. You can go for finer grates to prevent more waste and debris from passing through, but it shouldn’t be too fine to restrict the movement of water or get blocked easily.
- Avoid inserting rigid items into the drains since the pipes may be made of clay and thus may be destroyed by heavy or sharp things.
- If after proper cleaning water still flows slowly, consider installing a larger driveway drain. Even though it might be expensive, it might be the only approach to cause quick draining and prevent stagnant water.
- After you find drain cleanouts in your driveway, make a hand sketch of all of them for future use.