Did you know that there is mold everywhere?! Including in the air. However, despite mould being present in both outdoors and indoors environments, they can only thrive and multiply in places with a lot of moisture, such as a leaking ceiling and dumpy walls.
According to various medical researches, different individuals react differently to moldy environments. However, indoor exposure to mold is linked to a variety of health complications compared to outdoor exposure. For instance, exposure to indoor damp and moldy surroundings is associated with upper respiratory tract infections among healthy individuals. In more adverse circumstances, the same exposure can result in pneumonitis. Among children, exposure to damp and moldy indoor surroundings have been linked to asthma.
In the subsequent paragraphs, we unravel how to keep your home from being infected by mold.
First things first; fix the sources of damp
As aforementioned, mold is everywhere. However, for them to thrive, they need some moisture and warmth; that’s why they are more prominent in the kitchen or bathroom. Therefore, before investing the efforts of eliminating mold, it is crucial to identify and fix sources of damp.
Three types of damp that can be experienced in a home. Condensation; which is the most common damp and caused by poor heating ventilation and cooling mechanisms. Rising damp which is caused by water entering a structure from the ground; and penetrating damp caused by water penetrating through a building from the outside. Whatever the case, they should be identified and fixed.
Invest in a hygrometer to accurately test the level of humidity in your home
Mold has been found to grow in environments whose humidity levels are above 60%. To accurately determine the humidity levels in a home, it is, therefore, necessary that one invests in a hygrometer, even as you consider the best dehumidifier in the market offered at LetsRemoveMold.com to help in keeping the humidity levels low.
Make the mold inactive with your dehumidifier
Once a hygrometer is installed in a given premises, one can confidently monitor the levels of humidity in the building hence able to keep them in check. In the case of mold, the humidity levels within a home should be maintained to at most 50% and below. Under such humidity, the mold spores are rendered inactive, making it impossible for them to multiply and mess up the environment. However, still under the low humidity, mold will still continue to occasionally emit more spores, calling for extra measures.
Take extra measures; as a dehumidifier doesn’t kill mold
Finally, since a dehumidifier only keeps mold spores inactive, it is crucial that one takes extra precautions to ensure that the fungi have minimal chances of growing within a home. For instance, you could frequently prepare some homemade bleach to help remove existing mold spores. On a different note, under circumstances where the spread is too much, deploying the services of a professional company to remove the mold is safer.