Illinois Sets Single-Day High For Covid Cases

As medical, pharmaceutical and related industries worldwide struggle with vaccine distribution, the SARS Cov-2 virus continues to yield new variants. The latest variant concerning the World Health Organization is called Omicron.

In the US, the constituent state of Illinois experienced a surge in Covid-19 cases peaking just before Christmas 2021. In this article, we will cover what legal actions you can do against personal threats during the pandemic. Later on, we will also try to analyze the situation for the spike in Covid-19 cases in Illinois.

How can you Legally Protect yourself During the Pandemic?

Before the eve of Christmas 2021, personnel from the State Health Department of Illinois discovered a massive rise of cases from the SARS Cov-2 virus. The new tally of fresh cases rises to a staggering 19,000 individuals getting infected by the bio-threat. It is also the state’s highest number of cases breaking previous records in a single day.

We are all aware that the holidays cause people to perform reckless things or commit crimes against other individuals. If you experience some type of physical attack from an unknown assailant and manage to survive unscathed, we advise you to contact a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer after tending to your injuries. Now that the pandemic forces scarcity amongst communities, government officials and organizations acknowledge that there might be a rise in crimes during the holidays.

This might be the same instance occurring in the state of Illinois. During the 24 hours before Christmas 2021, health authorities recorded over 18,942 probable cases of Covid-19 making hospitals struggle to assign space for their new tenants. The Illinois State Department also tallied a total of 78 deaths amongst people who are infected by the SARS CoV-2 virus.

Ever since the pandemic began, the state of Illinois holds several over 2 million people being infected by the virus. A total of 27,435 people perished during the onset of the pandemic. Every county in Illinois is experiencing a wild surge in cases because of high-transmission rates. The current ratio amounts to 100 new cases in a group of 10,000 people.

The 7-day count of Covid-19 positivity amongst people rises to a rate of 8.6%. Illinois state’s rising cases of SARS CoV-2 patients may be brought upon by the new Omicron variant. The new variant arrives as many people gather from different parts of the country and the world. In the whole population of Illinois, only 60% are fully vaccinated. The new omicron variant now threatens people who are still to receive the vaccine and individuals who are yet to be fully vaccinated.

What might be the cause of the surge of Covid Cases in Illinois?

Now that we have discussed some of the statistics of Covid cases, let us take a closer look at some reasons why there is a high transmission rate in the state of Illinois. In all of its 102 counties, health officials approximate a ratio of 100 infected individuals per 10,000 people.

Vaccination Improvements

The whole state of Illinois began its peak of rising cases on December 2, 2021, recording over 11,000 new cases. Fortunately, the whole state successfully vaccinated 60% of its entire population. The remaining 40% are still awaiting their second doses or belong to groups of people that deny being vaccinated due to other health complications.

Community Transmission due to Area

In Chicago city, there has been a rise in cases concerning the Black and Latino communities. Most of them live in multigenerational housing that encloses people to live in close quarters. Health officials also discovered that some residents of these communities might have pre-existing health conditions and work with companies not covering health insurance benefits.

New Variants

In the first quarter of 2021, the Delta variant dominated the concern of many global health officials. During the 2nd quarter of the year, the Omicron variant was discovered in Africa. Today, as many people return home from different countries worldwide, health authorities expect that some people might be carriers of either the Delta or the Omicron variant of the SARS CoV-2 virus.


The last reported rise in Covid cases in Illinois was during the first outbreak of December 2020. Now that two new variants are circulating, the state experienced another surge of Covid cases just before Christmas 2021. Hopefully, the state’s health authorities are continuously gathering data and implementing new countermeasures to prevent an increase in their daily cases.