Here are some of the fun facts about Mexico that you probably haven’t known:
1. The official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United Mexican States)
2. You will thank Mexico because it introduced chocolates and chilies to the world
3. Mexico is the second fattest country in the world, just behind (you guess it) the United States. Today over 70% percent of Mexicans are overweight, and this number continues to rise.
4. The border between Mexico and the United States is the second largest in the world (the largest is the US-Canadian border).
5. The red poinsettia is indigenous to Mexico, where the flower was discovered by the American physician Joel Roberts Poinsett. Poinsett was also the first American ambassador to Mexico.
6. Mexico is home to one of the rarest type of rabbit, the volcano rabbit, which lives near Mexican volcanoes.
7. Mexican children do not receive presents on Christmas Day. Instead, they will receive gifts on January 6, the day the country celebrates the arrival of the Three Wise Men.
8. The world’s smallest dog, the Chihuahua, is named after a Mexican state.
9. Mexico has the second largest Roman Catholic population (Brazil is the first)
10. Mexico’s capital Mexico City has the highest elevation and is the oldest city in North America, as well as one of the biggest cities in the world.