Today, most of us are aware of tummy tuck surgery, which is also called an abdominoplasty. It is a surgical process that helps tighten the stomach muscles and removes the extra skin and abdominal creases.
The surgery is such that it leads to a more toned and flatter stomach; hence most patients opt-in for this process right after their pregnancy. Some women also opt-in for this surgery when they have lost much weight within a short period. Today, it has become a popular surgery, and numbers are backing it up as well. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the percentage of tummy tuck surgery increased between 2000 and 2017. To know more about it, you can check out Breslow.
When is it beneficial to get a tummy tuck surgery?
A tummy tuck surgery provides several cosmetic rewards. It can also offer great medical advantages, especially for a surgical process for some corrective measures. For instance:
- A correct ventral hernia happens when your abdominal tissue or intestine breaks through the abdominal wall to develop a sack or pouch. This hernia can occur for various reasons, such as abdominal weakness resulting from an appendectomy, massive weight loss, or a cesarean section. Like flattening the stomach, the tummy tuck surgery can help correct the hernia by working on the weak abdominal muscles and minimizing the skin’s pressure.
- Reduce stress urinary continence – SUI (Stress urinary continence) is a bladder control condition when there is excess pressure on the urethra and bladder. Its characteristics include excess leakage induced by forceful and sudden actions like coughing, sneezing, exercising, or laughing. The condition usually gets treated without any surgery. However, according to studies, a tummy tuck surgery can help SUI patients. This problem is generally common to women after delivery but can also occur in men.
- Reduce back pain –Abdominoplasty is also useful in treating back pain. After a massive weight loss or pregnancy, women might witness back pain, leading to weak stomach muscles. By removing excess stomach fat and flattening the abdomen, the tummy tuck surgery tightens the weak muscles, removing the back pain.
- Enhance posture – One of the after-effects of reduced back pain and strong abdominal muscles is enhanced posture. After an abdominoplasty, patients might enjoy enhanced posture because of tight muscles that provide better support to the spine.
Can you use tummy tuck surgery for weight loss?
Through this surgery, you can eliminate only a certain amount of body fat. Hence, it shouldn’t get counted as a process for weight loss. The surgery doesn’t enhance cholesterol level, blood pressure, and other effects that occur from obesity. Hence, it is suggested not to use this surgery to treat obesity. However, tummy tuck surgery is recommended for diabetic patients if they cater to specific conditions:
- There is no record for kidney ailments.
- The diabetic condition is in control, and there are zero complications.
These are some of the considerations that you need to undertake in case of tummy tuck surgery.