People often do not give metal roofs much significance due to the evolution of several myths surrounding this type of roofing. Metal roofs act as a perfect suit for commercial buildings and barns. Different types of metals, such as steel, corrugated galvanized steel, copper, lead, and aluminum are common materials for residential roofs. Each type of material possesses unique features and tend to have similar benefits.
Metal roofs constitute several benefits and are indeed an excellent option for a high return on investment.
- Metal roofs possess increased longevity. The suppliers and service providers offer warranties of approximately fifty years.
- This type of roofing system involves less processing. In other words, you can sometimes directly install it over the existing roof materials.
- The kind of fire protection metal roofs provides is incomparable to other materials. Since such roofs are highly resistant to burning, it becomes the right fit for commercial and even residential structures.
- Metal roofs are environmentally friendly. They include up to 95% of the recycled material, and you can recycle them at the end of its lifetime.
- Metal roofs cost-effective. This characteristic attracts most people seeking a change in roofing systems. They are energy efficient and help reduce heating and cooling costs by reflecting radiant health from the sun.
Several myths surround metal roofs. A few crucial ones are busted below:
- People believe that metal roofs attract lightning and increase the probability of getting hit by a strike. Although metal conducts electricity, metal does not draw it. Therefore, there are low chances of lightning strikes.
- Are you worried that metal roofs will get noisy in the rainy season? However, this is a myth, and in fact, it can even act as quiet compared to other roof types.
- If you stay in a cold climate, people do not advise metal roofs as they are of the opinion that metal roofs are easily susceptible to damage from hail. Although heavy hailstorms possessing large hailstones can dent the top, the usual hail will not cause any harm. To prevent the slightest harm, Benchmark Roofing & Restoration recommends a texturing process for the tops. This step makes any minor denting less visible.
- If you have heard that you cannot walk on a metal roof, well, you certainly can. However, you should know how to do it devoid of any damage. You can check the guidelines of the service provider and the manufacturer for full-proof instructions.
- Some people think that metal roofs make the house colder in the winter season. The roof’s cooling or heating effect has nothing to do with the metal roofing. In other words, the metal roof does not affect the temperature of the vented attics. It is the insulation under or on the top of the attic floor that keeps the below surface warm.
With the roofing contractor’s proper installation and reliable service, the roofing in your house will not attract any damage for several years to come.