Protein powder is a great way to get a boost of protein in your diet. But it can be tricky to find one that’s high-quality, low in sugar and fits your dietary needs. When you want to buy plant based protein powder, you will need to do significant research on your part. As a result, you will be in a position to get your hands on the best powder.
Top tips to buy the best protein powder
Here are some tips for buying plant-based protein powder:
- Plant sources of protein are still relatively new on the market, so you might not be familiar with them all. Look for options that contain at least two different types of protein from plants, such as hemp, pea, chia and brown rice. These will give you more balanced nutrition than single-source powders like rice or pea protein alone.
- Check the serving size and nutrition facts label before buying any type of product — including plant-based powders — to determine how much protein is in each serving and how many servings are included in the package. You want to make sure there’s enough to meet your needs without going overboard on calories or carbs.
- Read reviews online before buying any kind of product — including plant-based powders — to determine if others have had success with it or if they have any complaints about it being too sweet or tasting bad (which isn’t always true).
- Look for organic products with minimal ingredients and no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. You should also check that it is not made from genetically modified ingredients (GMOs). If possible, try to find a product that is both organic and non-GMO certified. These two certifications will indicate that your product was produced without using harmful chemicals or pesticides that could be harmful to your health — as well as the planet’s health!
- Pay attention to the ratio of carbs to protein in each serving. Carbs provide fuel for your workouts and help repair muscle tissue after exercise; too many carbs can get stored as fat if they aren’t burned off during workouts. Protein helps build muscle and aids in recovery from exercise; too little protein may mean that your muscles don’t recover properly between workouts and could lead to soreness or injury down the road. Look for a product with 1-2 grams of carbs per gram of protein (or less).
Make sure the protein content is high enough to support your goals. If you’re looking for weight loss shakes, aim for about 20 grams of protein per serving. For building muscle or increasing strength and endurance, look for at least 25 grams per serving.
These tips should hopefully help you to select the best plant-based protein powder for your needs and goals. Whether you’re seeking protein for muscle gain, or simply to keep your appetite in check with a vegan lifestyle, there are plenty of options available. So use our advice to make your next buying decision, and start living a healthier lifestyle today.