Blog

What To Do If You Spot Molds In The House

 

What To Do If You Spot Molds In The House

Did you know that around 45 million buildings in the U.S. are infested with mold? Different types of mold might be a common problem, but it is not something you should take lightly as it can significantly put your health at risk. Studies have found that it can lead to respiratory complications, allergies, infections, cancer, scarring in the lungs, and other chronic conditions. If you have an underlying breathing problem or other serious health conditions, it can exacerbate your case. If you are pregnant, you will even be more at risk. Parents should also know that babies are more likely to develop asthma if exposed to mold at such an early age. 

Have you recently spotted mold in your home and don’t know what to do? Follow our tips below to guide you through the necessary steps of removing mold from your home.

Why Does Mold Occur?

Mold thrives in moist environments and it is typically found in damp places like your bathroom, kitchen, and basement. It is likely caused by leakage in your pipes and roof, poor ventilation, wet clothes, and flooding. In general, mold is caused by moisture problems inside your home. If your house or your prospective unit when house hunting had any of these issues, make sure to check for spots of mold. 

Mold Testing

Before you clean or remove spores of mold yourself, it is best to have a professional conduct a mold testing procedure around your entire house. There are over 300,000 types of mold and some are highly toxic. Professionals from GreenWorks highly encourage mold testing as it will help you identify what type of organisms you are dealing with. This is also important as the results will help you determine whether it is safe to remove the mold on your own or if it is necessary to contact an expert. More importantly, a mold test will help you locate the sources of mold in your home and how to correct your problem.  

How to Remove Mold

How to Remove Mold

When removing mold, protective gear is necessary for your own health safety. Make sure to wear gloves and a mask before you clean out areas with mold. It is also suggested that you dampen the area with a rag and plain water to prevent mold spores from dispersing through the air. Next, scrub or wipe away the mold using an ammonia-free detergent soap or a heavily diluted bleach solution. If you are using bleach to clean or remove the mold, let it soak for about 15 minutes before scrubbing or wiping it away. Dry the area after washing to prevent mold from reoccurring by using either a fan or a dehumidifier.

When to Call a Professional

If you or anyone in your home has asthma, allergies, or a weak immune system, hiring professional mold removal services is necessary. It is also best to call in the pros if you can smell the mold but can’t see it. Large spots of mold are harder to clean by yourself. If there are any structural damages or if lead, asbestos and other harmful materials that can be disturbed during the mold removal process are present in your home, then it is suggested you leave it to the pros. Remember, these professionals are trained and are equipped with the right tools and knowledge in mold removal. They have years of experience under their belt in finding and eliminating the molds in residential and commercial spaces. Going through the DIY route might not guarantee you total eradication of your problem and it will likely occur again if it is not done right. However, you should also be aware that mold remediation services scams are quite popular nowadays, so make sure to check for previous client reviews, accreditation, and certificates before signing the deal.

How to Prevent Mold

The most efficient way of preventing mold is by routinely checking your home for any leaks, seepage, and other moisture problems. Make sure to fix those problems right away if you find any. Using dehumidifiers and fans is also highly suggested. Proper ventilation should be present in all parts of your house. Avoid leaving damp towels or clothes on your bathroom floor and laundry room. Wet areas should always be dried within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold from growing. 

Exposure to mold poses a threat to anyone’s health. To avoid the many health conditions that come from mold, testing, and proper removal are necessary as they can help identify the source and prevent the infestation from reoccurring once and for all.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker