Princess Tiana is considered one of the more progressive and “feminist” Disney princesses in later years. She is the ninth Disney princess and the first African-American Disney princess. Princess Tiana stars in the 2009 film The Princess and the Frog, loosely based on E.D. Baker’s novel The Frog Princess, which in turn was inspired by The Frog Prince by the Brothers Grimm.
Princess Tiana is a lovely, intelligent and hardworking girl who dreams to open her own restaurant. After kissing Prince Naveen who has been turned into a frog by an evil spell, Tiana herself turns into a frog also. Together they must find a way to break the curse before it’s too late. Let’s dive into the enchanting world of Princess Tiana, exploring her background, creation, and the fascinating facts that make her story so special.
The Classic Fairy Tale the Frog Prince
“The Frog Prince” is known for its timeless theme of transformation and understanding. It’s been popularized through various adaptations and retellings, each adding unique layers to the story. Here’s an overview of this enchanting tale:
The Making of a Dream: Background and Creation
Princess Tiana’s character was developed during a time when Disney was redefining its approach to storytelling, aiming to create more diverse and relatable characters. Tiana’s story is set in the vibrant city of New Orleans in the 1920s, a time and place teeming with rich history, culture, and music. The setting plays a crucial role in shaping Tiana’s character, her dreams, and her journey.
Ten Fascinating Facts About Princess Tiana
- First African American Disney Princess: Tiana made history as Disney’s first African American princess, a milestone that added much-needed diversity to Disney’s princess lineup.
- Inspired by a Real Person: Tiana’s character was inspired in part by famous New Orleans chef Leah Chase, who was known for her legendary Creole cuisine and her iconic restaurant, Dooky Chase.
- A New Kind of Princess: Unlike many previous Disney princesses, Tiana is portrayed as a hardworking, ambitious young woman who relies on her strength and perseverance to achieve her dreams.
- The Significance of Her Name: The name “Tiana” means “princess,” making it a fitting choice for this groundbreaking character.
- A Dream Come True: Tiana’s dream of owning a restaurant is a central theme of the movie, symbolizing her aspirations and determination. This dream pays homage to the ambitions of real-life individuals during the Jazz Age.
- Voice Behind the Princess: Anika Noni Rose, a renowned actress and singer, provided the voice for Tiana. Rose expressed that playing Tiana was a dream come true for her, as she had always wanted to see a Disney princess who looked like her.
- Influence of Jazz: The film’s soundtrack is heavily influenced by the jazz music of the 1920s, reflecting the cultural backdrop of New Orleans and adding depth to Tiana’s character.
- Critical Acclaim: “The Princess and the Frog” received three Academy Award nominations, including Best Animated Feature, showcasing the film’s impact and the significance of Tiana’s character.
- Tiana’s Iconic Gown: Tiana’s green gown, worn during the transformation scene, has become an iconic symbol. Its design was inspired by the natural beauty of lilies, fitting the bayou setting of the movie.
- A Lasting Legacy: Tiana has left a lasting impact not only in the realm of animated films but also as a role model for young viewers, embodying the values of resilience, hard work, and the importance of following one’s dreams.
A Princess for the Modern Age
Princess Tiana’s story is more than just a fairy tale; it’s a source of inspiration and empowerment. Her journey teaches us that with perseverance, courage, and a little bit of magic, dreams can indeed come true. As a symbol of hope and ambition, Tiana continues to inspire and captivate audiences, reminding us that true royalty comes from within.
Princess Tiana’s story resonates with audiences for its portrayal of a strong, independent woman who breaks barriers and pursues her dreams with tenacity. Her journey from a hardworking waitress to a successful entrepreneur and princess reflects the evolving narratives in modern storytelling. Tiana’s character stands as a testament to the power of determination, the beauty of diversity, and the endless possibilities that unfold when we dare to dream.