In this digital age, we’re spoilt for choice with TV channels, streaming services and packages that offer far more than the four channels that were available 30 years ago. We’ve come a long way with technology but there is a less welcome side effect. Too many people believe that the advancements in TV tech necessitate a degree to operate the new devices, the processes and tools are confusing and labour intensive. Some people, after seeing or listening to a few intriguing stories have decided that using smart technology means that someone can listen to you by tapping in to an Alexa or that they can compromise your bank account by using your fridge to gain data when you use an app to do your weekly food shop.
For example, in Australia a few years ago, an article titled “Be Smart with Tech; Conspiracy Theorists Warn of TVs and Phone That Listen to You” was published in the Daily Mercury. A person became spooked by what was apparently just a coincidence but convinced otherwise, she told her story on social media:”…she had been chatting with friends in their living room about a particular club. Two hours later, an advert for that club appeared alongside their Facebook timeline…” OK.
Your best option is to talk to a respected expert in the field of smart TV, take their advice and choose the services and benefits that appeal to you, in the knowledge that every digital device is designed and manufactured with security, confidentiality and optimised user experience at its core. For example, there’s a brand new product on the market. It’s a one of a kind offering, at the moment, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have total faith in its capabilities and its ease of use.
If you can operate a remote control or speak a command like “Play Coronation Street,” then you don’t need to worry about anything more vexing.
Smart technology and Freeview have been operating together for a few years now, but Humax Digital’s Humax AURA UHD Freeview Play 4K Recorder’s offers a step into the future of viewing.
Its 20 top benefits:
- It’s powered by Android TV, Google’s version of Smart TV
- Easy installation and set up process.
- Aerial required.
- The capability to pause, record and rewind live TV.
- Enjoy over 85 channels. 15 of these are HD.
- A helpful 7 Day TV guide.
- The ability to record 4 shows at the same time whilst watching a 5th.
- Storage capacity for 1000 hours of recorded content with the 2 Terabyte model. 500 hours memory with the 1TB version.
- Set up recordings and reminders.
- Google Assistant and Chromecast are built into the device.
- Voice control through Google Assistant.
- The Aura app streams shows to different devices.
- Watch streamed TV live and the recorded content via the Humax Aura app. Download for watching on the go.
- UK viewers’ favourite apps found in one convenient place.
- Quick access is offered via a remote control key.
- It features 3 tuners.
- 2 USB’s.
- A media server.
- Plug and play USB.
- A 2 year warranty.
Why choose a Freeview enabled product?
Freeview has been a market leader in Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) since October 2002. Today, it operates in over 18 million UK homes.
If you have internet access with a speed of 2Mbps and a TV aerial then Freeview delivers an easy to access alternative to the satellite and cable package deals available in the UK.
- 95% of the most popular shows on British TV are available on Freeview.
- Over 20000 hours of on demand content and more than 700 box sets available.
- No subscription, no billing.
- Make simple searches and enjoy personalised recommendations.
- Watch Freeview content across several devices via the app.
- It’s your choice whether you add top-ups or streaming services to the Freeview product.
How does Freeview compare to Freesat?
The difference between Freesat and Freeview is that Freeview works with an aerial but the Freesat solution operates with a satellite dish. Freesat offers over 170 channels with over 20 in HD. There is storage capacity on the set top recorders for 1000 hours worth of TV and you can record 4 channels simultaneously. Pause, record and rewind TV and enjoy on demand services. However, there isn’t a Freesat enabled equivalent to the Humax AURA UHD Freeview Play 4K Recorder. Also make sure your TV is at its best by checking out professional TV calibration as well.
Please don’t listen to the naysayers. Smart TV’s and recorders deliver you a level of freedom that would once have seemed impossible. Take every opportunity to enjoy them.