What is uterine fibroid embolization UFE? An embolization of a uterine fibroid is an interventional radiology procedure that does not contain but is devoid of particles, the arteries nourishing a uterine fibroid. A uterine fibroid is more precisely, a benign tumor. Women aged 35 years and over have a risk of 20 to 40% contracting a well-developed uterine fibroid.
What is uterine fibroid embolization UFE for?
Why demand uterine fibroid embolization procedure? The uterine fibroid embolization UFE is a validated technique to avoid the generally performed surgical operation.
Therefore, a second opinion from our specialist and interventional radiologist at the USA Fibroid Centre makes it possible to ensure the legitimacy of performing an embolization of a uterine fibroid and the best possible care. The prognosis of affected patients is thus improved, and the risk of complications is reduced thanks to a second opinion analyzing each patient on a case-by-case basis. Please consult us for uterine fibroid embolization recovery cases.
What are the situations eligible for uterine fibroid embolization UFE?
Initially, uterine fibroid embolization UFE appeared to treat hemorrhages following childbirth or when trauma to the pelvic region occurred.
- Menometrorrhagia, or bleeding from the uterus, is also treated with embolization. This eradicates them in 80 to 90% of cases.Pelvic compression syndromes, which cause pain in the veins of the pelvis, are also eligible for embolization. This takes away the pain in about 80% of cases.
- Pain during intercourse is also a good indication for embolization.
- From now on, this makes it possible to treat uterine fibroids and all the complications resulting from that place.
What is the uterine fibroid embolization procedure?
Uterine fibroid embolization UFE generally requires overnight hospitalization, although outpatient embolizations can sometimes be performed.
The uterine fibroid embolization procedure is carried out in the vascular radiology room and consists of going through the femoral artery to embolize the two uterine arteries. The first step is inserting a small catheter into it after making an arterial puncture, a small hole. The two uterine arteries, right and left, are, therefore, successively catheterized. The particles injected into the two uterine arteries, which are approximately 500 microns in size, are intended to induce ischemia, i.e., a stoppage of blood circulation, in the uterine arteries.
Usually, uterine fibroid embolization and arterial catheterization are painless and only require local anesthesia. The most painful part of the procedure is the stoppage of circulation or ischemia, which can lead to severe pain for a few days. Opioids are therefore administered to the subject undergoing embolization of uterine fibroids. Anti-inflammatories to prevent potential inflammation and infection are also given.
What is the status of uterine fibroid embolization recovery?
- Returning home is possible when the subject’s pain is stabilized by oral painkillers that can be administered at home.
- Followinguterine fibroid embolization recovery, the patient should see the interventional radiologist again to assess the outcome.
- An ultrasound and an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the pelvis should also be performed after six months to check for the reduction in the volume of the myomas, that is to say, benign muscle tumors of the uterus.
- It is estimated that full uterine fibroid embolization recovery from the operation takes one to two weeks.
What are the benefits of uterine fibroid embolization UFE?
There are many benefits to uterine fibroid embolization UFE and a high success rate. Indeed, as seen previously, chronic bleeding is reduced by 80 to 94%, and the efficacy of pelvic compression syndrome is estimated between 70 and 80%.
In addition, the uterine fibroid embolization procedure reduces the uterus volume by approximately half. Unlike surgery by myomectomy or hysterectomy, embolization of uterine fibroids preserves the uterus and, therefore, the potential ability to fertilize. In addition, no scar is visible, and the intervention reduces the risk of bleeding. In addition, as seen previously, ovarian function is preserved in most cases.
We’re confident that our specialized uterine fibroid embolization procedure at the USA Fibroids Centre will be a life-changing experience for you. Contact us now.