Gray hair can be annoying. But when it comes to aging, you can’t prevent it. Hair dyes might sound like a convenient solution to this problem. But the color of the dye wears off over time, and you might need to re-apply it every few weeks.
The real question is – is it safe to use these synthetic hair dyes frequently? Not at all! Using these chemical-based hair dyes every few weeks can be very harmful. According to studies, hair dyes can be very toxic and can damage your hair beyond repair. Besides that, using them more often might lead to severe health problems.
For that reason, many people go for natural alternatives to dye their hair. If you’re wondering which natural ingredient is best to cover the grays and how you can use it, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss how you can use henna & indigo powder to color your hair and their benefits. Also, open the link to learn how to remove hair dye using vinegar.
Many people might not be familiar with indigo powder, but everyone knows about henna and pure henna powder. Henna has been known and used for centuries. Its widespread use is probably the reason for its popularity. You can also find the best shampoo for henna by clicking the given link.
It is actually a plant that grows in tropical or sub-tropical regions. The leaves from the 23 feet tall plant are dried, crushed, and powdered. It is then used for temporary skin tattoos, hair dyes, hair care, nail stains, and more.
Just like henna, indigo is one of the oldest known ingredients for coloring your hair and a great natural dye. This ingredient not only colors your hair naturally but also benefits your hair. But don’t get confused by the synthetic indigo hair colors available in the market. Always check the ingredients label before purchasing and make sure it is 100% natural and organic.
To prepare natural indigo powder, the leaves of its plant are soaked overnight. Then, the mixture is kept in the sun to dry up the leaves. After that, the leaves are powdered, and indigo powder is obtained. Indigo is commonly used to dye clothes, but it is also used in combination with henna to color your hair black. Please note that you can’t achieve black color if you are using it without henna.
Benefits of Henna and Indigo Powder for Hair
Henna and indigo not only help with dying your hair, but it also comes with multiple benefits for your hair. Isn’t that amazing? Here, we have listed some of the well-known benefits of using these two natural ingredients on your hair.
- Henna and indigo can make your hair healthy and voluminous.
- These ingredients will reduce hair fall, treat baldness, and boost hair growth.
- Henna and indigo not only conditions your hair and nourishes your scalp, but also gives you silky and smooth hair.
- These two ingredients are free of any chemicals. Unlike traditional chemical-based hair dyes, these will prevent you from problems like hair fall, hair damage, health issues, etc.
- You can cover your gray hair perfectly with Henna and Indigo dye.
- These natural ingredients can prevent and treat dandruff.
- Henna and indigo can also control scalp itchiness.
After all these benefits, who would choose chemical-based hair dyes over natural ones?
Using Henna and Indigo Powder to Color Your Hair Black
Like we told above, you cannot achieve a darker color if you’re using indigo powder on your hair without doing the henna treatment before. If you’re willing to get a deep black shade, you’ll have to follow the whole two-step process.
Here’s what you need to do.
Things You Need
Before we jump on the process, let’s have a look at the things you’ll need.
- Henna powder
- Indigo powder
- Glass bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic hair cap
- Old towel
Step 1 – Henna Treatment
- In a bowl, mix henna powder with tea/coffee water or warm water.
- You can add yogurt, egg, or a dash of lemon. But this step is optional.
- Allow the paste to sit for around 6 to 12 hours.
- Make sure that the consistency of the mixture is not too thick and not too watery.
- Wear your gloves and wrap yourself in an old towel to avoid any stains.
- Apply the mixture to your clean, product-free hair and let it sit for about 2-3 hours.
- Wrap your hair after the application.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, and do not use shampoo.
Step 2 – Indigo Hair Dye
After the henna treatment, follow these steps.
- After you’ve washed your hair, let them dry.
- Mix indigo powder with hot water in a bowl.
- Leave it for about 20-30 minutes and allow the dye to release.
- Add salt (1 tsp for 50 grams) to make it easy for your hair to absorb the color.
- Don’t forget to wear your gloves and a towel. Apply the mixture to your hair.
- Allow it to sit for 2-3 hours and rinse off with a sulfate-free shampoo.
You’ll see the best results after two days. It is possible that it might not work for you the first time. Repeated applications may help you get your desired results.
Using Henna and Indigo Powder to Dye Your Hair Brown
You can also use henna hair dye and indigo powder to color your hair brown. Here’s how you can get your desired shades of brown by using these two natural ingredients as hair dye.
- Prepare your henna and indigo paste as directed above.
- Mix both the mixtures together.
- Apply this mixture to your hair.
- Cover your hair with plastic cap.
- Allow the dye to sit for 2-3 hours and wash it using a mild shampoo.
- For brown tones, Apply henna and indigo in the proportion of 50:50.
- For reddish-brown color, use the proportions of 70% henna and 30% indigo.
- To achieve dark chocolate brown color, use 30% henna and 70% indigo.
Indigo paste cannot be stored in the fridge or freezer, while you can save henna paste for later. Besides that, you can store indigo and henna powder in your fridge.
If you have any questions, comment them down. We’d love to answer them