Who are Jewellery designers?
Jewellery designers are professionals who conceptualize, plan, design, and craft style and pattern of jewellery, silverware, and other decorative metalwork products basis the ensuing trends, customer preferences, as well as architectural and functional knowledge of varied materials like gold, silver, precious and artificial stones, etc., fabrication techniques in addition to analysis of the design’s viability in terms of making as well as wearing.
While some may work to create jewellery for mass consumption, others highly skilled designers specialize in creating customized pieces of jewellery for a private client.
- Ability to visualize and come up with unique creative concepts and designs that will not only be admired but also accepted in the market
- Capability to interpret client’s brief as well as feedback into an actual piece of jewellery Dexterity in working with diverse tools, stones, noble metals, and varied materials along with deftness in the use of computers as well as competencies in updated software like CAD, etc.
- Observation skills complimenting attention to details
- Networking and communication skills to not only handle a team as well as stakeholders but also build a professional relationship with clients.
- Belief and competence to market your concepts
- Passion to not only stay updated as per the ensuing market trends but also be relevant
Eligibility Criteria for Jewellery Design Courses
At the under-graduate level, the eligibility criteria are that student must have completed 10+2 in any stream or any equivalent exam
At the post-graduation level, the student must have completed his bachelor’s degree in a related field from any recognized university. Students from another nonrelated field can also apply, provided they have the skill set required for jewellery design.
Eligible candidates must clear their entrance exams.
Students clearing their written entrance exam will have to sit for a group discussion followed by a personal interview
On clearing of all the above, the successful students are admitted into the college
Jewellery Design Course:
Many colleges are offering Jewellery Design Courses but in order to select the right course, you should ensure the following:
- The curriculum must not only specialize in Jewellery Design, but it must also offer competencies in wearable as well as non-wearable accessory designs, modern techniques, technologies, processes, contemporary and traditional crafts, and the use of different materials.
- College must offer students the use of a well-equipped studio so as to facilitate projects as well as fabrication.
- College must ensure proper exposure through field research, internships, industry visits, and interaction with industry experts.
- The certification must be recognised at both National as well as international levels so that students have better opportunities.
- The curriculum must offer an understanding to students regarding the influence technology, environment, economic, social, and political issues have on the industry including on art and design world.
- College must have a proper placement program.
- College must facilitate students to develop a proper portfolio through participation in competitions as well as live projects.
- College must offer an additional career support curriculum so as to enhance the student’s competencies-diamond cutting, necklace concepts, trading in gold, etc.
Just register for a Jewelry Design Course and design a fulfilling career for you.