Handheld sewing machines are versatile, convenient, and can sometimes get the job done that larger size machines can’t do. They are not just useful at home, but you can also take them with you due to their portable, compact structure and travel-friendly size. These appliances have the ability to repair almost kind of material, thin or thick.
Pros of Handheld Sewing Machines
- Small or compact size
- Fix minor stitching issues in clothes without removing them
The most important feature that makes the handheld machines stand out amongst the other types of sewing machines is its portability. This quality makes them convenient to use anywhere and at any time. Handheld machines are ideal for those who find it frustrating to fix minor stitching problems by hand or need to do a repair when having a full-sized machine isn’t convenient.
Remember that, even the best handheld sewing machines will not be able to deliver as great results as a traditional sewing machine will do. Handheld machines are designed to do minor tasks. For instance, you might not be able to hem drapes on a regular machine without removing them; however, handheld machine can do this job within a few minutes for quick repairs.
Cons of Handheld Sewing Machines
- They can be difficult to work with as in most cases the instructions and sewing guides provided with these machines is pretty limited. You may need to look for videos and other guides on how to do certain tasks.
- The results aren’t as durable as traditional sewing machines
- They can be limited which stitching thicker materials such as leather, denim, etc.
There are a lot of inexpensive handheld machines available in the marketplace, thus you have a bunch of options to choose from. Make sure you carefully consider features, skill level required, types of fabric supported when making your decision.
Here are our recommendations to consider for handheld machines. Check out the pros and cons of each.
This cordless electric machine makes it easy to work in any environment and is travel-friendly. It works either on power adaptor or battery. Its also lightweight which helps to reduce fatigue and stress on the wrists from extended use.
It comes with a powerful DC 6V 600mA motor to ensure a smooth performance. This model is ideal for beginners.
- Perfect sewing tools for beginners
- Portable and travel-friendly
- Extremely easy to use
- Its stitches are weaker than full sized machines
- Machine is not durable for heavy use
Another great suggestion under $50! Just like the first one on the list; Stingsew model is highly portable as well. It works on power adaptor and requires DC 6V adaptor or 4 x AA batteries.
It can be used on a wide variety of materials including thicker materials such as leather, denim, wool, and more. Moreover, this handheld machine is quite easy to use, even an amateur can work with it efficiently.
- Inexpensive investment
- An ideal tool for beginners
- Easy to use
- Portable and lightweight
- Works well with any kind of materials, from soft to the thicker ones
- Power adaptor and batteries are not included in the package
- Its durability is questionable
The best one is saved for the last! The other two recommendations were for beginners, and this one is a slightly more advanced. This model has the ability to sew in a straight line, and it can even stitch through a 2-layered fabric. Its needle is sturdy enough to get through thick materials easily. Moreover, you can adjust the speed settings, as per your expertise or the nature of your task; all thanks to the pedal and on/off button. It’s a solid option that provides extra features over other handhelds.
- Additional accessories are included within the package, like thread, bobbins, etc.
- It has a bobbin re-winding capability
- Highly portable and travel friendly
- Easy to use
- User-friendly and versatile features
- Inexpensive option
- Although it comes with an instructions manual, but users have found it to be less than helpful
- Stitches are not as durable as a regular machine
A good-quality handheld sewing machine can be a very useful tool for quickly repairing minor stitching issues and other alterations. There compact design also makes it easy to take it with you on the road, etc. if you need to make a quick repair. All these recommended machines are below $50 and are the bestsellers with solid reviews.