Curtains are the unsung heroes of interior décor. They are both functional and stylish. Curtains serve several purposes, like controlling the temperature in a room, promoting privacy, and improving the aesthetics of a room. While these products are essential, choosing them can be very challenging. This is especially the case if you are dealing with large windows. It would help if you considered several factors when purchasing the best curtains for your big curtains. Below are some tips to help you pick the best big curtains for your home window.
Measure your windows first
The first thing you do going to purchase curtains is to measure your windows. It is paramount that you get the right size of curtains. Failure to do this will hinder the curtains from fulfilling their purpose. For instance, the curtains will not be able to provide privacy if they are too small. Therefore, it would be best to measure your windows to ensure your curtains are correctly sized and functional. For this task, you will need a tape measure. Ensure that you get both the length and width measurements. There is also a rule that the curtains should be at least 1.5 times the window’s width. This helps ensure proper coverage.
Consider the light opacity level
One of the primary ways through which curtains are categorized is by their light opacity. Here, your choice should be made depending on your natural light and privacy preferences. Below are some of the options in this category:
- Sheers- they offer maximum natural light exposure as they are lightweight and relatively see-through. Therefore, they are a great choice if you are love natural light. You can pair them with heavier drapes for privacy at night.
- Light filtering curtains- they filter out some natural light as they are slightly heavier than sheers.
- Room darkening curtains- they provide the opposite effect to sheers as they minimize sunlight exposure. They are an excellent choice for people looking to achieve maximum privacy.
- Blackout curtains- they block out direct sunlight, ultimately hence making the room look darker. They usually work great when they are paired with sheers on a double curtain rod.
Pay attention to the curtain material
Another excellent tip for purchasing curtains for your home is to pay attention to the curtain’s material. The curtain material influences the style, functionality, durability, and curtain price. Therefore, the material is one of the most important factors to consider. The most popular curtain materials are:
- Polyester- this is a budget-friendly, versatile, and artificial design. It comes in numerous colors and patterns.
- Silk- this is also a budget-friendly choice with a formal appeal. It features a glossy finish and comes in a wide range of colors and designs.
- Cotton- these curtains are usually casual, easy to clean, and more refined than their counterparts. However, it is more costly than the former.
- Velvet- these curtains are bold, luxe, and very soft to touch. They are somehow similar to suede curtains. However, they are more on the pricey side.
There are several other types of materials on the market. When choosing the best one, it would help if you considered elements like the price, material qualities, durability, and aesthetic appeal. The weight of the fabric is also something to consider. If the curtains are too heavy, they may not fold crisply when they are drawn. On the other hand, if they are too light, they will not fall as well. Therefore, it would help if you got something in between. The fabric also influences the ability of the curtain to keep out the cold, keep the heat in, and block light from penetrating.
Decide on the length and lining
The length, in this case, refers to how high you would want the curtain to hang from your window. This will affect how low the curtains hung to the floor. If you’re going to achieve a traditional look, you may want the curtain slightly puddled on the floor. On the other hand, if you want to achieve a modern look, it would be best to have the panel fall flush with the floor. On the other hand, if your curtain is too lightweight and it lets in too much light, you may want to get one with an inner lining.
Consider the curtain fixings
Below are some of the most common curtain fixings;
- Curtain tracks- usually come with a looped cord that you pull to open the curtain from one end. Curtain tracks are a practical option for large windows because you do not have to handle the fabric directly.
- Curtain poles- usually work best on straight windows as they are versatile and can take any form of heading.
- Adjustable rods- can be used to hang sheers and voile curtains.
You can purchase your curtains through online shopping. Large curtains are usually more costly than their counterparts. However, you can take advantage of great deals like online coupons and voucher codes. An example of these great deals is the coupon code like the Noon Coupon Code.