Among all male diseases, prostate cancer occupies one of the first places, ahead of lung and colorectal cancer in frequency. According to the American Cancer Society, approximately every one in eight men worldwide will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime. Fortunately, thanks to the achievements of modern medicine, the probability of recovery is very high.
Below, we will talk about the best cancer hospitals in 2023. When compiling the rating, AiroMedical considers the presence of highly specialized oncologists, the methods used, the speed of diagnosis and initiation of treatment, and many others.
Criteria for selecting the best hospitals for prostate cancer
When deciding on the clinic to entrust your health, it is essential to make an informed decision. It is important to remember that every minute counts for a person with prostate cancer. Feedback from other patients may not be enough.
When choosing a list of hospitals for prostate cancer treatment, you should pay attention to the following:
- Information about the hospital. The AiroMedical platform provides up-to-date info about the clinic’s location, data on international certificates, available equipment, specialists, treatment methods, and so on.
- The number of narrowly specialized doctors (urologists, andrologists, fertility doctors, etc.). The struggle for life is exclusively a team effort. A well-developed and well-coordinated interdisciplinary approach will increase the chances of recovery.
- Doctor’s qualifications and work experience. A good specialist constantly studies and shares his knowledge, is passionate about science, and has academic degrees. Evidence-based medicine is not just a job for him; it is his hobby and sometimes the meaning of life.
- Available treatment methods. This information should be found out in advance. Suppose the hospital, for example, focuses only on surgical treatment. Most likely, the patient will be offered surgery, even if there are alternatives. Therefore, it is necessary to understand which therapy is more effective for the patient and not to proceed with what a particular doctor can do.
- The oncologist’s second opinion is the gold standard of treatment. It must be obtained without fail. Trust in the attending doctor is a critical factor in successful treatment. If there are any doubts, it would not be superfluous to get a second or third opinion, and so on.
Top hospitals for prostate cancer in the United States
With an overall high level of oncology care in hospitals in the US, the highest rates in prostate cancer treatment are demonstrated by:
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital Chicago
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Wisconsin University Hospitals Madison
- Chicago University Medical Center
Benefits of medical treatment in the US
Several reasons why a patient should choose treatment in the US:
- Availability of the latest radiotherapy techniques, including robotic prostatectomy, biotherapy, and proton therapy.
- Alternative treatment options: some tumors can be destroyed by high-intensity focused ultrasound.
- Effective treatment at any stage of the disease, with a minimum risk of violating sexual and urinary functions.
Top hospitals for prostate cancer in Europe
Competent doctors and modern equipment distinguish the following list of hospitals in Europe:
- Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch, Germany
- Marien Hospital Marl, Germany
- St. Zdislavy Hospital Velke Mezirici, Czechia
- University Hospital Vienna (AKH), Austria
- Kardiolita Hospital Vilnius, Lithuania
Benefits of medical treatment in Europe
Hospitals in Europe are widely known worldwide for first-class medicine:
- Experienced specialists actively research and develop new ways of treatment in Europe.
- Extensive experience in prostate removal surgery. Here are performed twice as often as in hospitals in the US. Nerve-preserving techniques reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction.
- Protocols for accelerated rehabilitation allow quick recovery after prostate removal surgery.
Top hospitals for prostate cancer in Poland
Many patients turn to hospitals in Poland hoping to receive qualified medical care. Some of the best ones are:
- CLINIC HIFU Prostate Cancer Treatment Center Warsaw
- Carolina Medical Center Warsaw
- Medicover Hospital Warsaw
- University Hospital Krakow
- KCM Clinic Wroclaw
Benefits of medical treatment in Poland
The main advantages of prostate cancer treatment in Poland:
- Compliance of oncology hospitals in Poland with high European standards. The best practices and treatment methods are universally adopted in the fight against cancer.
- Polish oncologists are constantly improving their qualifications, conducting scientific research, developing their own, and embracing modern cancer treatment methods.
- The treatment cost is one of the lowest in the EU.
Top hospitals for prostate cancer in Italy
Such list of hospitals demonstrates excellent results in prostate cancer treatment:
- European Institute of Oncology Milan
- University Hospital San Raffaele Milan IRCCS
- Integrated University Hospital Verona
- Civil Hospitals of Brescia ASST
- University Hospital Parma
Benefits of medical treatment in Italy
In addition to the affordable treatment cost, contacting hospitals in Italy has the following advantages:
- Italian doctors have achieved a very high survival rate and recovery for prostate cancer.
- Highly qualified oncologists, urologists, and surgeons.
- The use of modern, effective techniques.
Top hospitals for prostate cancer in Germany
Impressive results in prostate cancer treatment demonstrate a list of hospitals:
- Urological Clinic Munich-Planegg
- University Hospital Charite Berlin
- University Hospital Saarland Homburg
- University Hospital Heidelberg
- University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Benefits of medical treatment in Germany
Innovative prostate cancer treatment using PSMA therapy with Lutetium-177 is available in German hospitals. In addition, treatment in Germany is:
- The tremendous experience of German doctors in performing robot-assisted surgery.
- Minimum of bureaucratic procedures.
- Successful treatment of complex cases.
Best prostate cancer doctors worldwide
Choosing a hospital for prostate cancer treatment is reasonable to strive for a specialist who has won worldwide recognition for his achievements. Here are just a few names of such doctors:
- Prof. Dr. med. Manfred Beer
- Dr. Pawel Salwa. Ph.D.
- Prof. Dr. med. Mark Schrader
- Prof. Dr. med. Martin Kriegmair
- Dr. med. Hans Jorg Sommerfeld
- Dr. med. Nathan Kaminski
- Prof. Dr. med. Jurgen Gschwend
- Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Dresel
Best treatment solutions for treating prostate cancer
The best cancer hospitals use the most progressive methods of combating prostate cancer. Let’s list just a few of them:
- Brachytherapy. Contact radiation therapy involves the introduction of radioactive grains directly into the tumor, reducing damage to other tissues. Shows positive results in 90% of cases.
- Cryotherapy. It is a method of freezing prostate tissue to destroy cancer cells.
- Lutetium-177 therapy. It is effective in more than 50% of cases, even in severe patients with distant metastases who no longer respond to hormone therapy and chemotherapy. Radionuclides are injected intravenously. They accumulate in cancer tissues, destroying them.
- HIFU-therapy. The tumor is destroyed by ultrasound and high temperatures. The therapy success rate is about 61% – 95%.
- CyberKnife. It is used in the treatment of tumors located in hard-to-reach places. It targets the cancer tissues without affecting healthy ones.
- Proton therapy. The technique combines high efficiency and safety. The affected area is pointwise “bombarded” by protons, affecting only tumor cells.
How to get treatment in the best hospitals for prostate cancer
The effectiveness of prostate cancer treatment by at least 50% depends on the doctor’s approach to the patient and only then on the availability of modern technology. There are no patients who cannot be helped – modern medicine can help even patients with metastatic cancer. Each remission is not only someone’s victory but also hope for those who are just at the beginning of the way.
AiroMedical provides maximum opportunities for each patient. We will help you not to miss precious time and, with it, the chances of a successful cure. Take advantage of AiroMedical’s help to treat prostate cancer using the latest advances.
- Popel A. Lutetium-177 psma therapy: everything you need to know. AiroMedical. Updated February 13, 2023. https://airomedical.com/blogs/articles/lutetium-177-psma-therapy-everything-you-need-to-know
- Popel A. Prostate cancer treatment. AiroMedical. Updated January, 2023. https://airomedical.com/search/prostate-cancer
- Royce P., Ooi J., Sothilingan S., Yao H. Survival and quality of life outcomes of high-intensity focused ultrasound treatment of localized prostate cancer. National library of medicine. Published March 12, 2020. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7335960/
- Wang L. Darolutamide Extends Survival for Some People with Metastatic Prostate Cancer. National cancer institute. Published March 25, 2022. https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/darolutamide-survival-metastatic-prostate-cancer
- Volvak N. Proton therapy for prostate cancer treatment. AiroMedical. Updated January 14, 2023. https://airomedical.com/blogs/treatment-guides/proton-therapy-for-prostate-cancer-treatment