When planning to visit any place in the world, you might realize that renting a car can be highly beneficial. Regardless of your visit, driving yourself to your destiny can be worth a great deal of time and money. It can also enhance the experience of your vocation, tour, or working condition. Therefore owning a car is vital.
However, while in a foreign, or even in your country, renting a car is entirely different from buying it. Lots of factors are to be considered. Also, there are dozens of things you should know before renting a car, especially if you are on a tourist visa, expatriate, or immigrant. Here, we will look at everything you need to know when renting a car in Saudi Arabia. That is, we will answer probable questions you may have when looking to rent a cars in Saudi Arabia.
Let’s get started.
Which are the most popular rental car categories in Saudi Arabia?
Different car-hire companies categorize cars basing on various factors, including the size of the vehicle, level of luxury a specific car offers, power, chassis type, transmission or drive, and standard specialty or design. However, most companies base their classification on size.
There are three main categories of rental cars in Saudi Arabia – mini, standard, and full-size rental vehicles.
Mini Rental Cars
These are small hatchback car models with two to four doors. Usually, cars in this category accommodate a maximum of four people and about two bags. Typical cars in this category include Ford Taurus, Chevy Aveo, Kia Rio, Ford Focus, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Sunny, among other car types.
Standard Rental Cars
They are also known as midsize or intermediate rental cars. The vehicles in this category also have four doors and a hatchback trunk. They can accommodate up to five passengers and four to five bags. Examples of cars in this category include Hyundai Tucson, Ford Focus, Chevrolet Tahoe, Volvo V70, and Skoda Octavia.
Full-size rental cars
These are larger cars – more spacious than other categories. They can house five or more passengers. Also, they offer plenty of luggage space. Usually, vehicles in this category focus on travelers’ comfort. Hence they are the best choice for long trips. They include Hyundai H1, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, Nissan NV, Audi Q7, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia, among other large vehicles.
Other categories include Compact, Economy, Estate, SUV, and Luxury. However, it is good to note that these categories fall under the above classifications depending on their size.
What is the average cost of renting a car in Saudi Arabia?
The average cost of renting a car depends on luxury, power, car type, size, and comfort. Therefore, different categories have varied price ranges. The following are the average price of the typical rental car categories per day and week.
- Mini cars (Hyundai Accent) – SAR 125 per day and SAR 730 per week on average.
- Midsize cars (such as Hyundai Tucson) – SAR 210 per day and SAR 1240 per week.
- Full-size cars (such as Hyundai H1) – SAR 350 per day and SAR 2100 per week.
- Luxury cars (such as Jaguar F) – SAR 1,125 per day and SAR 6750 per week.
It is, however, good to note that the price varies with the rental company.
What should I consider before renting a car in Saudi Arabia?
When renting a car in Saudi Arabia, you need to consider several factors to choose an ideal vehicle that will suit your needs. The following are some of the primary factors to consider.
- Target activity – The purpose of renting a car is the main factor you should consider before deciding on the car you will rent. This will help you determine the size, type, and power of the vehicle you will need.
- Budget – After defining your requirements, you should determine the price range of your ideal car. Determine the amount you are ready to spend on renting your perfect vehicle. Note that the prices of vehicles in different categories vary depending on the features, size, level of luxury, and comfort in a specific vehicle.
- Credit score – Your credit score influences your ability to rent cars significantly. The score should be eligible for the type of car you are looking to rent. Also, your credit card should have sufficient funds to cater for rental fees and insurance covers. Evaluating your credit score helps you in choosing an ideal car in your credit score bracket.
What types of Driver’s licenses are acceptable in Saudi Arabia?
Saudi Arabian, GCC, American, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, and EU driver’s licenses are acceptable in Saudi Arabia. In addition to the mentioned licenses, driver’s licenses from other nations like Chinese, Cyrillic, or Japanese – non-native English states are also accepted. However, it is good to note that an international driver’s permit must accompany them – you are required to obtain an IDP to drive freely in Saudi Arabia.
Can tourists rent cars in Saudi Arabia?
Tourists are allowed to rent a car in Saudi Arabia. All that is required is valid identification documents, Driver’s license, an International Driver’s permit.
What are the requirements for renting a car in Saudi Arabia?
If you are looking to rent a car in Saudi Arabia, you will be required to meet the following requirements. However, it is better to note that the conditions are not conclusive. Different companies have varied sets of requirements.
- You have to be at least 25 years old to rent a car in Saudi Arabia. Under 25 years are required to pay for young drivers’ surcharges.
- You have to present a valid driver’s license. Note that you must have held the permit for at least a year.
- You are also required to have an international driver’s permit.
- You must have valid identification documents and an international credit card. The credit card should be eligible for credits – have sufficient funds.
- You have to understand and comply with the Saudi Arabian driving rules and regulations.
Renting a car in Saudi Arabia is pretty fast and easy. All you have to do is choose the best car hire agency, evaluate and select your ideal car, then pay the necessary fee. It is advisable to assess different agencies to determine the best among the many available.