Imagine driving along an old familiar highway in the middle of the night, with the windows down and feeling the gentle force of the pleasant wind in your hair, as you are heading back home from an exciting and wonderful vacation with your family. And suddenly, you feel a huge jolt from the back of your car. You look behind dumbfounded as to what happened, only to realize that someone has crashed into your car.
This is an extraordinarily common and unfortunate occurrence which tens of thousands of people experience each day all around the world.
What are some of the most common types of car accidents?
There are possibly a hundred ways that a car can crash into another car, a lamppost, a phone booth, or even a building for that matter. There is no limit to the variety of car accidents that a silly, but creative driver can find themselves in. Be it a highway, a busy street, an intersection, a secondary road, an empty parking lot, or even an open ground – car accidents are possible in whichever area that you can fit a car in. Here is a list of some of the most common types of car accidents that occur all over the world.
- Head-on collisions – This is perhaps one of the most fatal types of car accidents ever. Imagine two cars traveling at full speed and crashing into each other with an impact big enough to crush the entire front part of both the cars.
- Rear-end car accidents – This type of car accident usually occurs when a driver is sticking way too close to the car in front of them and as the car in front slows down or stops abruptly, the driver behind the crash into the car in the front because there is simply not enough time to hit the brakes. Such rear-end car accidents are one of the easiest to avoid, and yet they are one of the most common types of car accidents ever.
- Multi-vehicle pileup – A multi-vehicle pileup is a type of car accident in which lots of cars bang into each other at the same time and form a pile of crashed cars. This usually occurs on highways due to bad weather such as heavy fog, rain, or snow in which there is terrible visibility of the road ahead.
- Hit & run accidents – These kinds of accidents are one of the most morally reprehensible. The general rule of conduct when you, unfortunately, hit someone on the road and cause an accident, is to stop and share your contact information, your insurance details and most important of all – help the people who are injured. There are severe criminal penalties for drivers who are accused of hit and run cases when they are caught.
What are some of the most common causes of car accidents?
The driver of a car should pay attention to only one thing, and that is the road. But unfortunately, as the evidence suggests, there are thousands of drivers who neglect this and do not uphold their end of the responsibility that they owe to other drivers, their passengers, and their own lives. Here are some of the common factors that often lead to car accidents.
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving at night or during low visibility
- Driving during poor weather conditions
- Amateur teen drivers causing accidents due to inexperience
- Defective roadways with steep curves, potholes, and other such conditions.
- Animals who appear suddenly while crossing the road
- Accidents during road work or construction zones.