Many people consider purchasing car floor mats when they buy a new or used car. New floor mats can make the interior of your car look fresh and new. Even more importantly, however, is that old or faulty floor mats can be a safety concern. If the mat interferes with the brake or gas pedal, it may prevent the pedal from working properly. It is important to replace the mats before they cause a problem.
Reasons to Replace Floor Mats
If you have ever wondered, “When should I replace the floor mats for my car?”, there are surprisingly many reasons that you may not have considered.
- Mat Moves Around – As mentioned above, one of the most serious concerns is a car mat that doesn’t stay put. If it slips around, it can get stuck under the brake pedal and prevent the car from braking. The mat could also get wedged under the gas pedal and force the car to accelerate.
- Heel Pad Lifts – The mat heel pad has stitching around the edge. If this loosens and comes away from the pad, your heel could get stuck and cause you to lose control of your car.
- Mat Doesn’t Protect the Carpet – If the floor mat isn’t large enough to cover the floor area, it will not protect the floor from stains and dirt.
- Hole has Worn Through – If the mats have worn through, they won’t protect the flooring effectively.
- Mold Has Grown – Mold can grow in carpet and cause a health risk to your family. If you suspect mold or a foul smell in the mats, it is time to replace them.
Installing Your Car Floor Mats
The first step in purchasing new floor mats is ensuring they are the correct size. Floor mats aren’t “one size fits all”, so you need to measure the floor area accurately. Once you have purchased the right mats, there are a few steps you should take when installing them.
- Clean the floor of the car and remove any stains as best you can.
- Make sure the new mats are clean. Wipe them with a damp cloth to remove any dust or lint.
- Fit the mats into the correct location. Make sure you have the correct mat in its place.
Installing new car floor mats in your older car can give it a clean look and feel. Nothing revives the interior of a car better than fresh floor mats. When you are getting ready to sell your car it will also be easier to clean the floor because it has been protected.